What are dentures and partials?
Dentures or partials are removable replacements for missing teeth and surrounding tissues. Complete dentures are used when all teeth are missing, while partials are used when some natural teeth remain. Immediate or “same day” dentures can be made in cases of emergencies, as a temporary fix, or while you are waiting for healing of a dental implant.
Why would I need Dentures?
- If a tooth or teeth are extracted and a future implant or bridge is not planned
- If you are waiting for a dental implant to heal, usually 3 months
- To fill in any depressions in the jaw where a tooth was once removed
- If finances are a concern and you would like temporary teeth
- If you are a current denture wearer and have ill-fitting dentures
- Current dentures can be used with 2-4 dental implants for maximum stability
How do I know if I a Denture?
Ask Dr. Tom! He and his excellent staff can let you know if a denture will work for you! Conventional dentures are removable (they must be taken out an night and soaked in water; however, there are many different denture designs, some which rely on bonding or clasping onto teeth or dental implants.
What to Expect from a Denture procedure
- A typical denture procedure at Sardina Dental takes 3-6 visits to make a final denture, however immediate dentures can be made in the same day!
- Once the tooth or teeth are removed and the bone is healed a 1st impression is taken, takes 10 minutes. A 2nd visit may be needed, again 10 minutes
- 3rd visit is trying everything in could be a metal framework or wax teeth. 20 minutes tops!
- 4th visit could be the final visit and you can finally take your teeth home!!!!
Clean Dentures Daily
Daily cleaning of dentures is recommended. Plaque and tartar can build up on false teeth, just as they do on natural teeth. Cleaning the denture at home and/or during a routine dental visit is an important part of aftercare.